Monday, June 28, 2004

I stumbled across this blog a few weeks ago, The Dawn Patrol. And I don't really know what, exactly, to say about it.

There's a line in Inherit the Wind: "God created man in his own image, and man, being a gentleman, has returned the favor."

So goes one of the most frustrating day-to-day trials of religion. Everyone that lingers on the idea of, I dunno God? eternity? - whatever - be it me or Dawn Eden - wants a God that feels the way we do about the world. We feel love and we want it reflected back through eternity; we feel revulsion and we crave judgement raining from on high.

But that's the problem with our image of God. We're so quick to judge - millenia worth of survival instinct, I guess. But this quickness denys one central fact: we are not God, nor can we know the mind (for lack of a better term) of God (for lack of a better term).

There's the rub: the very idea of being right is blasphemy. And as much as I feel frustration and anger at reading some entries in Dawn Eden's blog, I know that that frustration and anger is mine, alone.

No comments: