Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Shaw's comment on my Jesus-complex post (two down) got me thinking about belief, and Gibson's Passion, and Religion in American Society Today. In some ways I think The Passion is just great - its Medici-like gradiosity harkens back to a simpler time, when folks who had money could spend it on stupidly huge declarations of belief. Its just out there, and in some ways, that rocks.

On the other hand, there's the whole 'Jews killed Jesus, you're all going to hell for not thinking what I think' thing (which also harkens back to a simpler time, when folks in power could expend it on stupidly huge demonstrations of force) is a bit hard to stomach, and a distasteful thing to endorse. And I hate gory movies.

Do I have a point? No.

But I do wonder sometimes about my own beleifs, in religion and politics. I'm so postmodern sometimes, I'm always looking for another angle, another way of looking. Maybe that's why I love Dante so much. His universe is more limited and knowable than mine, and it is his, entirely.

No comments: