Saturday, November 03, 2007

Dreams

I didn't sleep well last night. I dreamed I was a child in a city where all the adults had died or gone away. We lived in a railroad-style apartment and had to stay away from the windows so the gangs that roamed the street would think the building was abandoned. Venetian blinds were hung from the window frames in artful dissaray.

Eventually we escaped out the back way. It led to an unpaved alleyway lined with walled gardens. We were welcomed into one of them, and offered water to drink. I put a small dog in my waterglass to make sure the water was safe to drink (the puppy was wet and licked my nose, so I woke up).

Soon after, I fell back to sleep, only to wake up with a sense of urgency. I'd been willing something to happen so hard in my dream that I'd half sat up in bed. I remembered the dream so clearly then, but now I can't remember a thing, except that I was sick, and when I coughed my skin would fade slightly, and you could see flowers wilting underneath.

No comments: